. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the informative replies.
    You both made a very good point about the ageing hardware.

Look like I will concentrate on finding a machine in decent mechanical condition for the right price and budget in enough for a hardware upgrade.

Had a look at the CSlabs web site I see you can get a 6 axis controller for around £500.

What size AC servo would you recommend looking for?

I guess if I wait long enough a good machine will come up with a hardware fault.

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wookie_73 View Post
    What size AC servo would you recommend looking for?
    I wouldn't recommend you look for any without having a machine to put them on.!!

The machine you buy will dictate what's needed and the worst thing you can do is buy components without a machine to size them too.

Find a machine then ask again.!

Wouldn't get anything before having the machine. was just browsing the web looking at AC servos out of curiosity to try and ascertain a rough price.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie_73 View Post
    Wouldn't get anything before having the machine. was just browsing the web looking at AC servos out of curiosity to try and ascertain a rough price.
    Price's vary wildly on quality and size. To give some idea I've just bought 3 x 1.8Kw AC servo motors and drives complete with Cables delivered from China in 5days for the same price has just 1 x Motor/drive set of better brand name. The better brand I'm talking about is still considered relatively low/mid end compared to the bigger boys who's prcies can get eye watering.

Yes the Chinese drives won't match in quality and probably accuracy compared to the big boys but they will more than match anythign I'm going to challenge them to do.
    They have all the same Spec regards Encoder counts and I/O etc the better brand offers and so far they look like they are goung to be perfect for my needs.
    Time is a good tester but I'm very experienced at testing things and you get a feel for when some things right and when they are just a little too cheaply made.!! . . . These feel dead right and I'm getting very good vibes from them ( Well actually I'm getting No vibes because they are super smooth. . Lol)

Watch this space because I will shout up if the vibes turn into Shakes.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-11-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Sinusoidal Signals can be easily converted into TTL RS-422. There are some Chips from IC-haus that make this without big effort. And the price is ridiculously low compared with a HH Exe.

Jazz, is it possible to add linear scales to a IP/M or S control. I have now the "little" Boxford machine and want to convert it later to a servo control, I already have the Motors from Yaskawa and 2 drives for it but they want analog +/-10V. Now I need 3 additional drives for X,Y,Z and another one for B. If I see it right, I have 2 additional analog outputs which can have +/- 10V.
    One for an additional 5th axis and one for the spindlemotor which I will change for a much stronger one.
    But it were better, if I can add a linear or rotational scale to any axe.
    I know the IP/A can make this, but this part is too expensive for me. With all features I want have, it costs more than 1000€.

Quote Originally Posted by uli12us View Post
    Jazz, is it possible to add linear scales to a IP/M or S control. I have now the "little" Boxford machine and want to convert it later to a servo control, I already have the Motors from Yaskawa and 2 drives for it but they want analog +/-10V. Now I need 3 additional drives for X,Y,Z and another one for B. If I see it right, I have 2 additional analog outputs which can have +/- 10V.
    One for an additional 5th axis and one for the spindlemotor which I will change for a much stronger one.
    But it were better, if I can add a linear or rotational scale to any axe.
    I know the IP/A can make this, but this part is too expensive for me. With all features I want have, it costs more than 1000€.
    No Only the IP-A can have Feed back. You can get a Encoder module for the IP-S for Spindle to allow threading etc.

The IP-S and IP-A are almost the same price so if you can use Analog -/+10v then I'd go that route.

Or look at the Klop and Kanalog route which seem a nice enough setup, thou again not cheap by the time you have expanded it. Will probably be about same money.

Pokeys 57cnc is worth a look and will support high speed encoders. It also has one of the best Mach4 plug-ins out there.!

I have downloaded the additional manual for the Enc Box. There are 3 Encoder inputs and this part should run with the IP/M Box as well. What can I do with the third Encoder? Or better, is it possible, to connect 2 enc boxes to a IP/M? Than I had 6 encoder inputs 1 for the spindle and 5 for all the axes.

Thread Information