. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in doncaster, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 53.
    Hi
    not sure if this is posted under correct section. I have a denford router with a porter and cable spindle fitted. I would like to get a selection of collets which will accept 1mm to 6mm bits. the original collets are a little limited so can anyone tell me if a different collet is usable. I have took a pic of the collet assembly as is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0047.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	16839  

No idea what the actual collet is but the item on the far right is a collet reducer, not a good idea as the cutter can be pulled from the collet.
    So it looks like they had trouble getting a 1/4 inch collet!

peter

Lives in doncaster, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 53.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    No idea what the actual collet is but the item on the far right is a collet reducer, not a good idea as the cutter can be pulled from the collet.
    So it looks like they had trouble getting a 1/4 inch collet!

peter
    thanks peter
    looks like I have two reducers as the other collet in machine has a reducer for the 1/4" as well.

The larger collet looks pretty standard for hand routers. I think Kress spindles take the same ones?
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

I think they were used on Bosch routers, I have an unused 1/2" one that I was going to fit to my Triton router, not sure that they did any other sizes, I ended up using ER20 instead.

If it's of any use to you, you can have for postage cost.

Mark you will find you only really need 2 or 3 sizes of collet because most small tooling comes with shank sizes larger than the cutter. Ie: 1mmDia will have 3mm shank.
    You'll find 3 and 6mm collets will cover most of what you'll do with this machine form 1 to 6mm. 12.5mm collet or shank tooling you'll not use much with this machine. Maybe for surfacing but that's about it because it's not upto cutting with large cutters correctly.

Here are Collets similiar to ER fitting in P+C routers.
    http://www.precisebits.com/products/...429!!!Kit!!!PG!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to uli12us For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Mark you will find you only really need 2 or 3 sizes of collet because most small tooling comes with shank sizes larger than the cutter. Ie: 1mmDia will have 3mm shank.
    You'll find 3 and 6mm collets will cover most of what you'll do with this machine form 1 to 6mm. 12.5mm collet or shank tooling you'll not use much with this machine. Maybe for surfacing but that's about it because it's not upto cutting with large cutters correctly.
    cheers dean. Ive bought some end mills that do not fit. I think they usually come with three collets and I only have two. But the link which uli12us has sent looks like just the ticket. they should cover everything.

They sell an 1/2" to ER16 adapter as well. But, because of the size 1/2" to 10-11mm it is rather long and expensive. You need with the ERlike collets only 1/8, 1/4 and eventually 1/2" Those collets clamp the metric shafts as well. But the other diametres have no meaningful equivalent in metric. With a 3/16 you can't clamp a 5mm shaft, but 4mm, that isn't a popular shaft diametre.
    Last edited by uli12us; 19-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information