. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ok, thanks, will do some searching.

If your probing to an edge, you can use an isolated plate along the edge and specify the plate thickness. Then just use a precision dowel to probe with.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Interesting idea, thanks.

Back to my OP, still working out the niggles...

Where i am roughing with the 5mm tool, i have 2.5mm rads in all the internal corners, the finish tool of 2mm will plough into these at full speed - recipe for breakage here ??

Where we sorted the three slots out on the left with the roughing passes on the small tool, would it be better to pre-finish pass the whole part with the 2mm tool to bring the corners down to 1mm rads+finish allowance and then run once round with the finish pass at full depth??

This would mean i get rid of the fiddly pre-finish op on the three slots as they will come under the new full pre-finish runs. These runs would be contouring at 0.6mm DOC per pass.

I recall JAZZ mentioning it should be ok on page 1 but having seen a 2mm tool now, it seems a heavy cut on the full height of the tool??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	17993
    The green section plus the portion from the base of the 5mm circle etc. plus an extra 0.1mm finish allowance (not shown)
    Last edited by Davek0974; 22-03-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Where i am roughing with the 5mm tool, i have 2.5mm rads in all the internal corners, the finish tool of 2mm will plough into these at full speed - recipe for breakage here ??
    Well first you'll finish at lower feed than roughing and because of the Rad the stress on the 2mm tool is progrssive with the highest stress being fraction of the cut.
    Give it big blast of lube/air when entering corner and it will fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Oh well, not there yet

I spent a while assembling a fogless coolant thingy, plans as found all over the 'net, pretty easy build, seemed ok.

This was my setup - pre-drilled the cut-to-size plates so i had a fixed position, jig style setup.

Name:	IMG_1276.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	18018

First run was at FS calc speeds, new 5mm high helix carbide tool, that ended up in a right mess very rapidly, boy did it complain! The fact that it managed to carry on ripping through the metal with a fully loaded tool was quite impressive - tough little some-bitch this machine!

The tool did not break!

After the "what the f*** was that?" moment passed I hit the e-stop! On examining the aftermath, it appears the new coolant system stopped the coolant and was just on air only, this allowed the tool to load up and that was the end.

After an hour of messing i got most of the gunk off the cutter - that stuff was welded up!

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	856.5 KB 
ID:	18019

Upon removing the plate from machine I could see the carnage below, the load-up had pulled the tool from the collet and happily chewed my nice new bed

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	870.6 KB 
ID:	18020

I cleaned that up with a flat file and tried again. Same cutter but this time I altered the parameters from one ramped full depth roughing pass to stepped multiple passes of 0.81mm at 1500mm/min.

I also cranked up the coolant but it sucks big time and is the typical fogger system that i did not want - the whole room filled with oil/paraffin mist, I can still taste it! Totally unsuitable but i pressed on as i did not want to be beaten on this.

I got a video of it roughing out - https://youtu.be/A9ZqR9chMwg

Things seemed a bit happier, fingers were crossed.

Then came final pass on the 2mm tool - again nice new solid carbide, the small holes were run at 1000mm/min at 0.62 DOC, ramped - these worked perfectly and i was impressed here.

The pre-finish on the three loops at the bottom again worked perfectly.

The final pass on the outside edges was at full-depth and 0.1mm cut, 1000mm/min - this is where it all fell apart again - the corners of the cutouts where the larger rads were left made a bit of a squeal but first cuts worked ok, the left side of the main part cut ok on one side of one notch but the second broke the tool and that was it for the day.

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	18021

I had ordered spare cutters but some were crap and had to go back, that left me with just one 5mm and one 2mm from another supplier - the 2mm is trash and the 5mm is still gummy after about 1mm depth.

The final part is above - onion skinning will not work as there is a slight variation in bed heights and the part cannot be removed fully. I think tabbing and a sacrificial sheet of hard card or something under the plate will work better.

I also have an odd issue where mach3 went into reset when on the line before a tool-change - it would stop the spindle, lift up to clearance height then sit there in reset, pressing reset again allowed the spindle to come to park position for tool-change and then carried on normally. This happened a few times. My only suggestion here is interference from the M05 spindle-stop triggering the reset and this stopping the code right before the M06 command. I have a filter for the VFD and will bung that in.

So, unless I can find some tooling in the Bridgeport cabinet, I'm stuffed for the weekend.

I also need a coolant system as paraffin mist must be bad for health, it certainly tastes like crap!
    Last edited by Davek0974; 25-03-2016 at 04:36 PM.

It's easy done when you start cnc machining (and from time to time when you've been doing it a while)
    You need to get used to the machine and dial it in accordingly. You'll get there

I've been machining a number of parts recently and have supported the work piece using parallels (on their side) to lift it slightly off the bed. Then pushed a piece of thin MDF under the work to reduce the vibration. The parallels keep the work flat relative to the bed and you can cut at least 1.0mm through to make sure it is free without hitting the bed. I used tabs to hold it.

Just before each pass (when it is ramping down) I vacuum around the profile to clear the previous chips and give a bit of WD40 spray and repeat until done. I don't have a compressor so this is my way currently

Good luck with the fog buster development as I think that is a good long term approach
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thread Information