. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Microsoft state
    A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period.
    ;-)
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 11-06-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Formatting
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I've only just seen this thread, and based on my experience over the last year I have to add the following:

1) Unless you have NO available internet connection, Win10 WILL try and update itself (in my case 12.5GB of updates in the first 4 months*), even if you turn all the various update options off - it just turns them back on again when it feels like it. I have spent hours talking to the jobsworths at Microsoft support (who to be fair do try to be helpful) and nothing they have come up with is a permanent fix.
    2) Some of these updates WILL cause problems with existing hardware - I had one take out the supervisor app. for my MBB dongle which is the only means I have to connect to t'internet in the workshop.
    3) It seems to have quirks/flakiness just like previous versions, only they're different.
    4) As for it being faster than previous versions, all I can say is that running comparable operations on the little laptop I have it on, it is noticeably slower than the old XP machine I have at home which has a processor that benchmarks 3.5x slower.

As soon as I get some free time I'm learning Linux

*who releases code that's so bad it needs that many updates
    Last edited by Voicecoil; 28-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.

I have heard (and it may be just rumour) that Microsoft is/are seriously considering Win10 was a big mistake (business-wise) and the next OS offered will not be so cloud based.
    My own Win10 desktop operates in Local Mode, so I don't have to fart about logging on to my Microsoft account. My Skype account was linked to my wife's MS account as I first used it on her laptop and to logon to Skype I must use her password. MS can not unlink it as now Microsoft has absorbed Skype. The net result is that I have lost my credits and contacts unless I use her laptop. MS seem not to understand that they made a wrong link, without my knowledge, and now will not and cannot correct this. Wa*kers !

My XP Mach3 machine is on my network, so I can access files on my NAS box. I have, however, turned off Internet access by deleting the gateway address. You can do that easily in XP, but Win10 - probably not.

Voicecoil - there are flavours of Linux that look like windows, so the learning curve is shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Voicecoil - there are flavours of Linux that look like windows, so the learning curve is shallow.
    That's interesting to know, any ideas which flavours those are please?

I'll find the details for you.

Here 'tis
    https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/home

There is a lot of info there, apparently you can download the ISO file and convert it to a bootable on a USB stick. Never tried it though.

Cheers

Rob-T
    Last edited by cropwell; 28-11-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Additional info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information