. .

Thread: Freecad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Any of you guys using Freecad. I have just spent some time Utubing and downloading the programme and as an ex Solidworks user I find Freecad absolutely brilliant. Solidworks it is not, but once you get used to the module based interface. It is quite amazing for free. If you need 3D design software and you have the time to get your head round it.
    You will discover a very useful tool indeed. I referance this video as a taster among the many on Utube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=882quRdDaY4

I used it quite a lot about 18 months ago and found it very powerful.
    Steep learning curve, but once i got my head round it I liked it a lot.
    Unfortunately it was quite buggy at that time and i ended up switching to fusion360.

Fusion 360 is excellent, but you have inspired me to have another look at freecad.
    Always good to have options 😊

Cheers

I use Fusion360 mostly also. Just fascinated by the development of Freecad 0.17 from the last time I looked at it 18 months or so back. I also like the thought of not having all my eggs in one basket (cloud)

I use it mainly for the purpose of making solids from Openscad. In other words, importing Thingiverse files into my solid drawings for the purpose of integrating some elements and combining them.

The procedure is : Openscad-Export SVG-open in Freecad-Export as IGES-Import and sew surfaces in NX

Discovered after a lot of fiddling and i am not aware of any similar procedure to do that.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I use it for conversion of STL back to a usable CAD file formats, at the moment it has too many limitations for creation of complex 3D models so I use other CAD and Blender.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Can someone give the difference between Freecad and Solidworks ?

Hi,
    I find this chaps videos really good on how to use Freecad: https://www.youtube.com/c/MangoJellySolutions

Thread Information