Hi,

First off, I haven't really used Linux much before this so apologies if the questions that I am asking seem a little noddy to you more knowledge guys. We all have to start somewhere! My brother in law is an IT tech and he was going to help me get this set up but with the lock down we are unable to figure out what is going on. I have had a right mission to get to this point with missing parts, needing to re fabricate parts as stuff ended up getting slightly warped and delays on parts due to the lock down such is life though, I shall not be beat!!! I just want to get it running and start making some money

The plan was/is to use LINUXCNC for the control software. The PC I have didn't have a PPCard so I purchased a StarTech PEX1Pcard. Installed it inside the machine and Linux has found it OK. I am having issues on not only which I/O port to use in the config file (Ive tried everything), but also not sure what I should be editing in the .hal file and what I shouldn't be using.

Ill dump some info below, if you need anything else just drop me a reply and I will get it when I get back to the workshop.

Should the number after the parport in my .hal file be a 0 or a 1? Would it need to be a 1 as the card we are using is parport1?

hardinfo and PCI devices is giving me the following info...

I/O Ports 0xe010 -0xe017
I/O Ports 0xe000 -0xe003

:~$ dmesg | grep parport

[ 9.663273] parport_pc 00:0a: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
[ 9.663332] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 5 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[ 9.757461] parport1: PC-style at 0xe010 (0xe000), irq 17 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
[ 17.305126] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
[ 17.305473] lp1: using parport1 (interrupt-driven).

lpisc -v

02:00.0 Parallel controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd Device c110 (prog-if 02 [ECP])
Subsystem: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd Device c110
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at e010 [size=8]
I/O ports at e000 [size=4]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: parport_pc

.hal File - Not all the info but enough to help I hope!

loadrt trivkins
loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT base_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]BASE_PERIOD servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[TRAJ]AXES
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out"
setp parport.0.reset-time 5000
loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0,0
loadrt pwmgen output_type=1
loadrt classicladder_rt numPhysInputs=15 numPhysOutputs=15 numS32in=10 numS32out=10 numFloatIn=10 numFloatOut=10
loadrt linear8

addf parport.0.read base-thread
addf stepgen.make-pulses base-thread
addf pwmgen.make-pulses base-thread
addf parport.0.write base-thread
addf parport.0.reset base-thread

addf stepgen.capture-position servo-thread
addf motion-command-handler servo-thread
addf motion-controller servo-thread
addf classicladder.0.refresh servo-thread
addf stepgen.update-freq servo-thread
addf pwmgen.update servo-thread
addf linear8.0 servo-thread

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!