. .
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok first off I wasn't having a pop at you or trying to discourage you with negative comments. Most of what I said was and nearly always is said for the sake of others who are thinking to build and reading this. It saddens me that I have to do this and use you as an example of "How not to do it" and I know with 100% certainty, because been here many times before, that if you had done more research and made at least minimal drawings this wouldn't have ha
    Regards learning CAD then how do you think you are going to create parts to cut without even basic CAD.?
    Who said anything about making parts Jazz - Just pretty little signs!!! Things that sell at craft fairs and the like - if i decide to go down that route?

Ok well nobody's giving up on my watch.! . . .So if we can't make a stubborn bugger listen then I will just have to help him get it sorted out and working..
    Yeah - thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we are both clearly in the same but opposite camp there

You probably won't need to scrap the ball screws and I'm sure we can make something to extended them if your only 40mm short, you may lose 40mm travel but won't cost you anything.
    OK, open to suggestions - i did have an idea!! an outer plate and an inner plate - how the bloody hell i was going to make them though?

However, before we or I can help you further will need to give me a detailed list of what you have and the length and dimensions. Either post it here or drop me an email and I'll help you get this together. YOU ARE NOT GIVING UP..
    All my extrusions are exactly 1000mm

All my linear rails are exactly 1000mm

All my ball screws are exactly 1000mm

You kind of see my problem - i can understand how the 'linear and ball screw kit worked - but it was never for my profile of extrusions!!

To be fair (as I like to say!) why would i not assume that the ball screws would be longer, they are when you buy them separately

Oh, just to make you smile, laugh or cry? Why did no one tell me that if you take the nut off the ball screw, that all the bearings fall out! What a crap design

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post

You kind of see my problem -

WoodKnot
    I do see the problem

A. you can't attach the stepper coupling
    B. It wont reach each bearing also :(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lin1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	30158

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lin2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	30159

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Who said anything about making parts Jazz - Just pretty little signs!!! Things that sell at craft fairs and the like - if i decide to go down that route?
    Parts, pretty little Signs, or great big honking signs, call them whatever you like they all have to start with lines and arc's so you can generate the G-code in CAM. How do you think you are going to generate the files for cutting if you are not going to use Cad or some Vector drawing software, which is basically a kind of Cad.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Parts, pretty little Signs, or great big honking signs, call them whatever you like they all have to start with lines and arc's so you can generate the G-code in CAM. How do you think you are going to generate the files for cutting if you are not going to use Cad or some Vector drawing software, which is basically a kind of Cad.?
    I know I keep saying it, but Easel is like many programmes I use, you drag and drop image's, choose cutters and routing depths, it generates all the codes and outputs it to the CNC.

Can someone do me a favour and have a look at it?

It's free for a month, has some restrictions, but still very usable

It's very intuitive I think and easy to use.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,910. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.

Yeah - thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we are both clearly in the same but opposite camp there

OK, open to suggestions - i did have an idea!! an outer plate and an inner plate - how the bloody hell i was going to make them though?

You kind of see my problem - i can understand how the 'linear and ball screw kit worked - but it was never for my profile of extrusions!!

To be fair (as I like to say!) why would i not assume that the ball screws would be longer, they are when you buy them separately

Oh, just to make you smile, laugh or cry? Why did no one tell me that if you take the nut off the ball screw, that all the bearings fall out! What a crap design

WoodKnot
    We need more details.
    What profile are the extrusions?
    What size are the rails? 20mm?
    What size are the ball screws, what type of ball nut is fitted, and what support bearings are fitted?

Either links to what you've bought, or some photos will help us provide suggestions.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

WoodKnot
    I actually don't see the problem with those lengths. With those lengths you can indeed get the full length movement, which is 1000 - 160 = 840mm. There is no such rule that screws must me longer than the rails. As I said before, it depends on the design, but you always lose at least as much as the carriages take (normally more) so why would there be a problem? The 1605 should be machined like this:

Attachment 30161

So from the full 1000mm you lose 11 + 39 + 15 = 65mm which means that you have 935mm movement and that is more than enough for your 1000mm rails. ...but you can't build that on a single 80mm wide extrusion, so you have to come up with a better solution. Anyway, we need more details, MUCH more details.

If you absolutely want longer screws, one solution is to cut off a bit of the rails. The length is easy to shorten, just use an angle grinder. But like I said, it isn't necessary to have longer screws at all.

I think by the way that I indeed mentioned NOT to remove the nut, and be careful when installing the carriages because the balls will fall out. But... if that happened, you could collect them all, clean everything and assemble all together again. It may take time, but no big deal. I think you can even buy balls only, in case you have lost some. Here is an example of a seller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001533634944.html but DON´T buy any without you checked carefully the size and know if you really need some. Note that I have nothing to do with this seller and never had to buy any yet.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 01-07-2021 at 06:31 PM.

7. "To be fair, I did not want all these issues and should have stuck to the kit form styles of others and had done with it."

Knot-Wood To be fair I would think even OX and all the others have small problems with screws they don't just magically fit together all have to work at it.
    Even your woodwork you have to plan what you want to make, you cannot hold an image in your mind and expect it to work first time.
    If you think this part is hard just wait till you get to the control side of it, where do you think you are going to plug in the wire (maybe in your ears) to pick up your image.

I think you need to sit down and take a long hard look and read at how to build and how to control and make what you are looking for.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    "To be fair, I did not want all these issues and should have stuck to the kit form styles of others and had done with it."

Knot-Wood To be fair I would think even OX and all the others have small problems with screws they don't just magically fit together all have to work at it.
    Even your woodwork you have to plan what you want to make, you cannot hold an image in your mind and expect it to work first time.
    If you think this part is hard just wait till you get to the control side of it, where do you think you are going to plug in the wire (maybe in your ears) to pick up your image.

I think you need to sit down and take a long hard look and read at how to build and how to control and make what you are looking for.

Phill
    Thanks Phil

I know it was going to be a journey - but not like this -

Ok, as i keep being told, but you see these guys on Youtube, read the reviews -

Home CNC is a plug and play system - the software, the controllers, everything has been built around ease and for it to be scaled up to the thousands, so millions can adopt it.

Yes they have their shortcomings, but these are home machines, for a sign a week if they are lucky!

Easel, Blackbox Controller, Powerpack and some motors and off i go?

Too simplistic?

All i can say is let me try it!

Let me come back if i fail, let me come back if it works

Let me give an honest opinion, in laymen's terms, of how easy, difficult, good, bad or ugly the whole thing is?

That's what forums are for?

I am just trying to keep an open mind.

Just because it has always been done this way, does not mean that there are not alternatives.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Hello all, not had a chance to read any threads yet, but have at a few Images.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_201405_compress39.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	30162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_201614_compress64.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	30163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_201514_compress67.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	486.7 KB 
ID:	30164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_201415_compress38.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	30165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_203212_compress69.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	30166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210701_203144_compress90.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	435.2 KB 
ID:	30167

Have to take dog out for his evening walk, catch up later

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

OK, I have read everything that has been said so far!

All the machines that I have seen, watched, use this profile, on wheels, no rails, many belt driven and they knock out some nice stuff.

I know that you have all said they flex, so how are they managing it. Many make 1500mm x 1000mm machines from this stuff!

I thought by putting some HGR 20 linear rails on, that would introduce a lot more rigidity into the build

Most of the upgrades that people are doing is that, but often using 12mm rails and occasionally 15mm rails.

Most are still using 8mm Acme ball screws, I went for Rm1605, so twice the thickness.

Yes, I have seen the issues with long 8mm screws 1500mm long, I believe you call it whip or something else?

So I have exactly 40mm to play with between the rails, less the HGR20 carriages.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information