. .
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Main reason for using water cooled Spindle is the noise or lack thereof, you need an inverter as they they are three phase, you need to provide a small tank and a pump. you will be fine with an ordinary router but again it's the noise, this would get very old if you are doing a long run on the machine, you need also to be looking at a dust shoe to fit whatever device you wish to use.
    Good luck
    Regards
    Mike
    The motors then are quite large? Even compared to a good half inch router then?

Can you recommend a pump and tank Mike - it sounds like an aquarium!

Just trying to figure out what I will need -

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I also have the generic 2.2Kw Wc spindles with Huanyang VFD ..
    Hi Jazz

Have you got a link to see what I am looking at and what sort of cost please?

So i presume that the VFD is separate to the inverter -

Do i need a qualified electrician to install of of this? Considering that we can only add spur these days!

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
    OK, never used a water cooled unit? So presume that they come with the pump unit part?
    Jazz must answer what is included in his price, but yes, to use a water cooled spindle, you need a pump and hoses and also a big bucket of some sort.

I have also noted that some need an inverter as well? Why do they need inverters?
    Yes, for the motor he is talking about you definitely need an inverter. The motor many people prefer to use is a brushless three phase motor. The inverter outputs three phase 220V and you need it to generate that and for speed/on/off control.

This seems to be pushing up the cost considerably.
    It is definitely pushing up cost and complexity quite considerably compared to using a simple router you planned to use, but it also increases the quality of your work.

Do i really need this for just routing out a few wooden signs?
    No, not really. You have actually several options.

1. You can use an air cooled spindle motor, like I do. The "need" for the water cooled version is really exaggerated on some sites. While when you cut air it is more quiet than air cooled motors, but that benefit is immediately erased as soon as you start cutting because the cutting noise is taking over. Once you use the spindle for real cutting, the noise benefits are gone. Personally I'd never use a water cooled motor, been happily using my air cooled for a long time now. I even use it at slow speeds (4500rpm) to drill in aluminium and plastics, done that for a long time now and still no issues. Many claim that you can't use air cooled spindles because the dust will be blown all over the place. Now, I don't cut wood, except the waste board surfacing, but PCB generates a lot of fine dust and it really isn't an issue at all. Of course, regardless of what you cut, a dust shoe is highly recommended, but that is valid also for water cooled spindle.

2. You can use other type of spindles, everything between a Dremel to any router you can mount on the Z and of course, lift and lower with it. I think though that the router you bought is a bit too big, but all depends on the Z, the fixture and the Z motor. In fact, you can use a smaller DC spindle also, but it won't be that efficient. There are plenty alternatives. Many people use ordinary routers, but they are very noisy, even compared to air cooled 3-phase brushless spindles.

The best alternative is a 3-phase brushless motor, but yes, it adds to the costs and complexity, even if you'd go for an air cooled one. Never the less, there are plenty alternatives. Personally, I started cheap and simple, used a DC motor initially, and it worked but was slow and weak (400W). Now I use a 1.5kW brushless air cooled 3-phase motor and if I have to replace that, the only difference will be that I will buy one with a square house and a larger collet, but will continue with the air cooled version.

Thanks A Camera -

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I think though that the router you bought is a bit too big
    The Makita half inch router is not for the CNC - that's just for my general woodworking jobs.

I have four routers - a big Dewalt that is inverted in my router table, 2 Dewalts that are 1/4 inch, one is plunge only and one fixed and plunge my new 1/2 inch Makita is for using in my jigs with bigger cutters.

The best alternative is a 3-phase brushless motor, but yes, it adds to the costs and complexity, even if you'd go for an air cooled one. Never the less, there are plenty alternatives. Personally, I started cheap and simple, used a DC motor initially, and it worked but was slow and weak (400W). Now I use a 1.5kW brushless air cooled 3-phase motor and if I have to replace that, the only difference will be that I will buy one with a square house and a larger collet, but will continue with the air cooled version.
    Which would you recommend then of the air cooled type - I think i saw one on Vevor that has the external housing for easy mounting on the Z axis

Does anyone make the dust shoes, i would be happy to buy one!

The one thing i do have is an excellent extraction system set up.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

I bought a mount for the cheap Chinese Makita clone and dust boot for it of ebay. they work fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153957400...wAAOSwsQJe42nc

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just had a look on the specification for my little Dewalt D26200 - which is just really the motor unit.

It has Variable speed control from 16,000 to 27,000

So reading between the lines - fast enough for wood but not slow enough for plastic or metals.

Plastics may be something I am interested in, but generally find most polymers that I have used wrap themselves around cutters and are a pain of having to stop frequently to clean them up, especially mid cut.

But as they are a handheld router - aesthetically they do not look so good mounted on a CNC.

Those nice looking silver cylindrical ones however, look much more professional!!

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    I bought a mount for the cheap Chinese Makita clone and dust boot for it of ebay. they work fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153957400...wAAOSwsQJe42nc
    Thanks Fivetide - that's not too bad at all -

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Thanks A Camera -

The Makita half inch router is not for the CNC - that's just for my general woodworking jobs.

I have four routers - a big Dewalt that is inverted in my router table, 2 Dewalts that are 1/4 inch, one is plunge only and one fixed and plunge my new 1/2 inch Makita is for using in my jigs with bigger cutters.

Which would you recommend then of the air cooled type - I think i saw one on Vevor that has the external housing for easy mounting on the Z axis

Does anyone make the dust shoes, i would be happy to buy one!

The one thing i do have is an excellent extraction system set up.

WoodKnot
    I can't recommend any because I only have experience with a single one, the one I use, and that is old now. I think the important thing is that it's large enough for you, so if I would buy one for you, I would select a 2.2kW with at least ER16. Also the inverter is important and there I also only have experince with one.

I can't recommend any because I only have experience with a single one, the one I use, and that is old now. I think the important thing is that it's large enough for you, so if I would buy one for you, I would select a 2.2kW with at least ER16. Also the inverter is important and there I also only have experince with one.
    Hi A Camera -

Ok, just done a bit more research and starting to get my head around the ER collets and their sizes.

The spindles themselves look like a minefield!

WoodKnot.
    Last edited by WoodKnot; 07-07-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Carpe Diem

Hi A Camera -

Ok, just done a bit more research and starting to get my head around the ER collets and their sizes.

The spindles themselves look like a minefield!

WoodKnot.
    Beware, there are also different ER16 collets. I made a mistake and bought a number of collet nuts not knowing that there are two sizes, M22 and M19, and of course, the ones I ordered were M19. I was pretty surprised to see that they don't fit and that was when I realized my mistake. Oh well, now I have some extra in case I ever buy something which takes ER16 M19 nuts. Not as big mistake as yours was, so I can't really complain, but learn from my mistake, it's cheaper that way...

Regarding spindles, the other thing you should know is that not all of them has the protective earth connected, and in fact, not all have a connector which allows you to connect the PE. Beware, that if you go for the spindles on your own then it is of utmost importance that you connect the PE to the spindle, otherwise you are risking your life in case there is a short between the live motor connection and the motor housing. If the spindle has only three terminals you can't connect the earth, so in my opinion, you should not buy that motor. I suppose the motors Jazz is selling does have PE, but anyway, it is your responsibility to check and fix it. All type of electrical wiring is critical, but especially the high voltage part, where safety rules and regulations must be taken care of. Make sure nobody touching your machine is risking his/her life, so if you don't have the knowledge and don't know anyone who can lead you or do it for you then you should hire a professional or go for a low voltage solution. I don't know how you planned to work with the electrical parts, but you should start considering this part now, before you start spending more, and definitely before you get something like a 3-phase spindle + VFD + pump. Remember, safety first.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information