Hi All,
I have a problem in that my cnc mill keeps tripping the main consumer unit in the workshop. The fault is intermittent and happens at any time when in use - sometimes when I start a cut and sometimes quite a way into a programme. Also when on no load - spindle only running - it can run for ages with no problem or cut out within minutes or, as the other day, within a few seconds, so it's not that the motor or whatever is getting hot. At other times it will complete the programme with no fault.
The machine was originally a Warco WM16 single phase machine - useless as it was - and has had a complete upgrade on ballscrews/stepper drivers, etc. Everything works well now apart from this intermittent fault on the spindle.
We have changed the spindle motor, spindle driver board, checked all wiring for shorting out, have bypassed the E-stop (works only on the driver boards cutout - not on mains isolation to machine) to check out any faults there. As I said, the machine has been upgraded and runs very nicely apart from this problem.
After changing all the above, it has successfully run for a total of around 12 hours of actual machining time and then suddenly had the "popping" problem again. Sometimes stops with a loud "pop" (sound coming from around the head area where there are also the spindle driver board and "filter" board) and at others just stops and each time trips out the main consumer unit.
The only thing I haven't changed yet is the filter board. I have no idea what this does but have been told it has rectifiers, etc on it.
I am not into electronics (what I know on these can be written on a pinhead) so I'm now frustratingly asking for any help on this problem that I can get.
If anyone has come across this problem, or can offer any ideas as for a cure, please can you help?

Regards,

GeoffB