. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One design is never suitable, so make it a parametric design. The process could be simplified into a set of logical decisions and a CAD program programmed to draw the machine based on code to represent these decisions. That way you just enter the general requirements (size, cutting material, price etc) and the program finds the solution if one exists within those parameters. This is not trivial to set up, but there are a few CAD programs that support parameter driven modelling, so I'm intending to try it. Clearly this method will never encompass everyone's needs, but it would be adequate for a lot of beginners to get an initial design, so long as it is made clear that it is a concept and not a final design.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That way you just enter the general requirements (size, cutting material, price etc) and the program finds the solution if one exists within those parameters.
    Ok at the risk of being called a bully I'll comment on this. The idea in concept is ok but who's components a will the Cad use.?
    To me this idea would work ok for a manufacturer or group of manufactures has it would allow them to construct the machine from there components but the DIY user needs to be flexible and buy what fits there pocket.
    To me it would need to be generic and this defeats the object of a Cad model.? Wouldn't it be better or easier to just have data base where they can enter there needs and it spits out recommended dimensions and component types sizes etc required to full-full there needs.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    To me it would need to be generic and this defeats the object of a Cad model.? Wouldn't it be better or easier to just have data base where they can enter there needs and it spits out recommended dimensions and component types sizes etc required to full-full there needs.?
    The idea is it would contain a database of components and prices that people contribute, so for instance if you want to make it from only components sourced in the UK that can be an option.
    So to answer your question, anyone's components.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Wouldn't it be better or easier to just have data base where they can enter there needs and it spits out recommended dimensions and component types sizes etc required to full-full there needs.?
    The system is an extension of what you describe, it would use the calculated list of components to draw the machine and include a bill of materials.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thread Information