I've recently inherited 2x cnc routers from my grandfather (see attached photos). He used them in the 1980's and programmed them using a zenneth laptop. State of the art at the time I imagine! They have not been used since. I would like to get them up and running for my own enjoyment, however all of the gear to run them is missing. I am fairly good with computers and am a quick learner, and I am very good with CAD.
Questions:
The machine looks to be 3 axis, also I am little confused at how the wheel (in the steel box) attaches.
The motors connect to a breakout board via parrallel port. I presume that these boards are also the 'driver' - can anyone suggest a decent board?
I don't really want to get into learning G Code - I understand that with today's technology a windows based software with convert my CAD dwg's into this. Again, can anyone recommend any software that doesn't cost the earth?

Any response would be greatly appreciated - I have little engineering knowledge and would class myself as a beginner so please bear in mind if you are kind enough to respond!
TomClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	794 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	9066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.JPG 
Views:	731 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	9067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.JPG 
Views:	653 
Size:	126.8 KB