Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
Hi,
will take photos

Definitely go rotating nuts. Normally i run it at 8000 mm/min for wood as faster wood will chip. But for foam or 3d jobs i run it 16.000 or faster. And being snappy means no slowing in corners. Especially important if doing deep trochoidal toolpaths. Meaning a very serious difference in time. Not that a 10.000 mm min max speed machine is not enough for a normal work, but if you have an order of say 100 doors or something the difference will be like 4 or 5 more days to do the job. And talking about profiling the panels only. Not 3d job
Hi Boyan, thank you for the good information. Yes I want to aim for some of those speeds without it being a disaster if I don't achieve - This is mainly ambitious hobby stuff, but would like to have the option to put it to work for money.

I guess you are not a fan of ballscrew damper type things like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWB6FAJCPhA ?
Even if I ddn't have a problem with whipping, I would be a bit concerned about the rotating inertia of the ballscrews if I went the driven screw rout.
The two long ballscrews I have are 32mm dia. 5mm pitch and 2300mm stroke. They are only rolled c7 accuracy (claimed) ones from China, but will hopefully work for what I want. Maybe I would have gone 15 or even 20mm pitch if I was doing over, but I started this a long time ago... I bough end supports with them - only cheap ones though so not worried if I don't end up using them...

I look forward to seeing the photos of your machine's design in this area. Am almost certain I will copy it quite closely. What size belts did you go for? Any leads on best place to get belts and pulleys?
Thanks again for your guidance on this - priceless info from an experienced builder!

PS.
I just pulled the trigger and bought 4 of the 400W AC Samsung servos and drivers, similar to the ones you use, from dy-global. Fingers crossed they get here ok.