. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That'll explain why it's come slack then. IIRC the original mount used 3 bolts, as the other corner is cutoff due to the head casting shape.

To the OP, if you search for my Triac retrofit thread, you'll find how I made a new spindle motor mount to fit a servo, along with some details to rebuild the spindle with new bearings.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    That'll explain why it's come slack then. IIRC the original mount used 3 bolts, as the other corner is cutoff due to the head casting shape.

To the OP, if you search for my Triac retrofit thread, you'll find how I made a new spindle motor mount to fit a servo, along with some details to rebuild the spindle with new bearings.
    Ah, that was your mod, wasnt it? Yes, 3 bolts but when I did the bracket I could only get to 2, as the motor effectively is too big to fit. Your idea is better but needs more work.

Also the spindle bearing is 20 odd years old, mine went and i had to change it.

Bearings don't last forever

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    My mod was quite a bit of work. I think the lathe work alone took about 3-4 hours, as it was a big lump of bar to hollow out.

Now I've had time, this post gives the process of renewing the bearings - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10344...8817#post88817

And the spindle motor mods start a bit further down that page - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10344...9732#post89732

Thanks to everyone who has replied, it really is very much appreciated.

Chaz-Tightening the two bolts holding the motor has eliminated nearly all the noise for now. However the top bearing support is still getting hot. Thanks very much for your rapid response and friendly advice.

MC- Thanks I will take a look at those links you have posted and hopefully get some ideas about a long term solution to mounting the motor.

Andy- I looked at an old post of yours on the Denford Forum and hoped that you might have some good advice. Did you replace your bearings like for like or did you upgrade when you made the swap?

Thanks again guys

My mod was quite a bit of work. I think the lathe work alone took about 3-4 hours, as it was a big lump of bar to hollow out.

Now I've had time, this post gives the process of renewing the bearings - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10344...8817#post88817

And the spindle motor mods start a bit further down that page - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10344...9732#post89732
    Wow MC that is outstanding work on that Mod! Really inspiring stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Swarf View Post
    Wow MC that is outstanding work on that Mod! Really inspiring stuff.
    I was lucky in that I had time to design a suitable mod, and didn't have to rush and make do with whatever I could my hands on.

If you want the fusion 360 files or any drawings, let me know and I can email them across. To design it I had to create a model of the head casting, so I could see what would/wouldn't fit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

I was lucky in that I had time to design a suitable mod, and didn't have to rush and make do with whatever I could my hands on.

If you want the fusion 360 files or any drawings, let me know and I can email them across. To design it I had to create a model of the head casting, so I could see what would/wouldn't fit.
    That would be fantastic. Thank you very much. I will PM you my email address.

Thread Information