. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john swift View Post
    its possible the motors OK and the stepper driver has failed and is only driving one of the 2 coils
    Or a coil connection wire has broken.

I've just broken open the controller box to see what type of driver I have & looks like I've got a blown fuse on the board. Hopefully this is the cause of my problem - if it is I think even I cn fix this one!

But why did the fuse blow?

From what we read down-under, I think it may have summat to do with Brexit?

Just replaced the fuse & fired her up - fuse blew again! The stepper controller is from a Canadian company called Larken automation.

the odds are one or more of the transistors in a H bridge has failed short circuit (NPN bipolar in old designs or FET's in later designs)

a shorted or broken cable would be high on my list of causes

John

Hi John,
    Apologies for my lack of knowledge, this is all new territory for me. I have just tried another fuse & the motor is now not making any noise or movement, the fuse is now no longer blowing. I am assuming that the short or break is most likely in the stepper motor itself, if so can I get it re-wound like a normal motor? If so does anyone know a company that can diagnose this & fix it?

not sure how many companies like MASSEY COGGINS LIMITED in liverpool that rewound motors are still in business these days

I expect too many potential customers bought new chinese motors instead of spending as much (if not more) on a rewind

cables that are constantly are being flexed very often break just after a connector or clamp

breaking the current through an inductive load like a motor produces a large back emf that is likely to damage any semiconductor its connected to

after repeated replacement of the fuse its likely that either a transistor or the current sense resistor is now become open circuit

for example if you look at figure 12 on page 14 of the data sheet of the L6208 H bridge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l6208.pdf 
Views:	136 
Size:	634.1 KB 
ID:	24633

the pairs of FET's H1 & L1 or H2 & L2 must never be on at the same time only as that will short circuit the supply

one FET from different pairs can be on
    eg H1 & L2 or H2 & L1

if a FET goes short circuit
    the current sense resistor connecting FET's L1 & L2 to the negative supply can go open circuit

John

Thread Information