. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffZ View Post
    This is for a diy router milling machine. I'm still in the initial design phase, so I have not ordered any parts yet.
    Well, that's a good thing you haven't ordered anything yet because you need to decide if it's a Router or a Milling machine because when it comes to component choice's they are very different, and getting it wrong will impact either machine negatively.

Right now I'm planning for Nema 34 size motors, but that 4.5Nm figure (or motor type) is not final.
    I'll figure this out once the dimensions of the machine are locked in.
    Again be careful because bigger isn't always better.! . . For instance, Nema 34's, even smaller Nm ratings are often wrong for a Router unless they have high voltage drives because they cannot reach the RPMs before torque drops away. 99% of the time you'll find the same Nm rating or lower NEMA 23 or 24 will outperform the NEMA 34 given the same voltage. This is mostly down to the inductance of the smaller motor being much lower which allows higher torque/rpm's.

Also, look at Closed-loop motors/drives for both machine types as they are much better than standard stepper systems.

I'll be sure to post my design and ask for critique and comments before ordering any parts.
    A wise choice and the right approach.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nema 34's, even smaller Nm ratings are often wrong for a Router unless they have high voltage drives because they cannot reach the RPMs before torque drops away. 99% of the time you'll find the same Nm rating or lower NEMA 23 or 24 will outperform the NEMA 34 given the same voltage. This is mostly down to the inductance of the smaller motor being much lower which allows higher torque/rpm's.

A wise choice and the right approach.
    Even with motors of near the same inductance is proven.

Results using 60V on a G0704 sized mill, all driver settings identical, X & Y axis:

Nema34, 1080oz (7nm and change) 3.5mh inductance:
    Loud, bad resonance, max velocity 2000mm/min, stalls thereafter, Inertia causes 0.2mm overshoots at stop.

Nema24, 566oz (4nm) 3mh inductance:
    Near silent, max velocity can exceed 3000mm/min, stops dead, accels like a rocket.

Still have a 1080oz on Z, (2000 is quick enough there). Might need it for my spindles new servo motor (7kg weight)
    Upping the power to 72V, might change driver to a stepperonline 100vdc input one (psu can go to 80).

Nema 34 1600oz (12nm) YES I was one of those newbies
    Thrown straight in the bin. Too embarassed to mug it off onto someone else!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Even with motors of near the same inductance is proven.
    Nema34, 1080oz (7nm and change) 3.5mh inductance:
    Loud, bad resonance, max velocity 2000mm/min, stalls thereafter, Inertia causes 0.2mm overshoots at stop.

Nema24, 566oz (4nm) 3mh inductance:
    Near silent, max velocity can exceed 3000mm/min, stops dead, accels like a rocket.
    And here I thought it was all down to inductance.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Still have a 1080oz on Z, (2000 is quick enough there). Might need it for my spindles new servo motor (7kg weight)
    Upping the power to 72V, might change driver to a stepperonline 100vdc input one (psu can go to 80).
    Which drivers are you considering?
    I have the CL86Y or CLA86T from stepperonline on my list of options for this project.
    I could run them directly off 60VAC

And here I thought it was all down to inductance.

Which drivers are you considering?
    I have the CL86Y or CLA86T from stepperonline on my list of options for this project.
    I could run them directly off 60VAC
    Need to do more research but the CL86Y atm.
    I'm still pondering about going closed loop later down the line. If this can run in open loop as well (for the time being), then I'll get it right now.

Otherwise it'll be the DM860Y as the machine sits, and then I'll look again at a later date if I change to CL.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information