When I first installed UCCNC a few months ago all seemed well. But recently it has shut down for no obvious reason on about 5 occasions. Up until today I hadn't seen the screen display when this occurred and wondered if the Ethernet connection was the problem but the connection seems OK. This last time I was standing in front of the laptop when it happened. The machine was idle at the time and I was made aware of the problem by the sound of the Z axis dropping under it's own weight due to a loss of the motor enable signal. I looked at the screen and saw the program just disappear. There was no warning display or anything obvious that I noticed, it just closed a second or so after I heard the Z axis and looked up.

When this happens I can always start UCCNC up again normally and it will then run for hours with no problem. It has happened soon after first starting up the machine and before I've got as far as powering up the VFD but I've also been able to leave the laptop and controller on all night and it's still normal in the morning. So far it hasn't happened during a cut but that luck can't last for ever.
The software is running on a 10 year old HP laptop with an intel i7 processor running Windows 10 and has a direct Ethernet cable to the AXBB-E controller. Wi-Fi is turned off and the machine is plugged into it's charger. I don't run any other programs at the same time and have turned off almost everything on the 'startup' menu. In every other respect the laptop seems to be working correctly. It's winter here in Tasmania so it's not an overheating problem. Windows is up to date.

I COULD try loading the software onto my shiny new DELL laptop but am not keen on taking it into the dusty workshop if I can avoid it. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Is there a known issue with an easy fix that I haven't heard about?

All help gratefully received.

Kit