. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi there,

I have already built two cnc machines from scratch using advice from here but I’d like a smaller machine able to machine a workpiece dimensions of 600mm x 300mm x 40mm. The machine is specifically for milling lots of parts for museum display in Corian type solid surface.

Critically due to the duration of some of these machining jobs I want be make a soundproof box to enclose the machine to keep the sound to a minimum. Having a dedicated smaller machine is therefore easier to build an enclosure for that the bigger machines.

I’ve been getting some prices from China to import a 6090 however with the import costs and my previous experience i’m pretty confident I would put together a decent machine well under the door to door prices I’m being quoted.

I would have thought a short gantry in 6mm wall steel box, all 20mm linear rail, twin ballscrew Y axis, closed loop setup would be the way forward. Saying all that I do have a Gecko540 controller, mach 3 pc and all the cabling and Nema 24 motors all ready to go so as a first port of call I really should look at reusing that.

Questions

Q. If using ballscrew on all axis should I be looking to use a gear drive with the motors?

Q. What size and pitch of c7 ballscrew on each axis?

Q. Where can I source a T-slot bed or t-slot sections to make a nice rigid bed surface?

Q. Should I be considering using a water cooled spindle with better lower end torque. One of the four or 6 pole 18,000rpm spindle?

Q. If I fabricate most of the frame from 6mm wall box and 12mm laser cut plate what profile size alu extrusion should I use for the gantry?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by marbles; 18-06-2023 at 05:11 PM.

Thread Information