Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
First we need to know the software you are using. Is it Mach3? If yes than you have several options, assuming you buy a brand new PC. Cheapest is to buy a UC100, plug it in to one USB and the other end into your parallel port input of the lathe, configure the UC100 and off you go after a few minutes. The next option is to buy a UC400ETH and do the same through Ethernet. Note that this requires a box and a small power supply as well, so it is more complicated and more expensive. Anyway, I am using Mach3 under Windows 10 Pro 64bits with UC300 and that combo works excellent. No problems with Mach3 at all. The price of a UC100 is about £100 so it is not really expensive. It is easy to set it up and get it going.

Other alternatives are to buy a PC which has Windows 7 32 bits in it and continue using a parallel port as today, just install your software and whatever you need. Of course, this gives you an outdated computer to start with, so you must be prepared to upgrade again soon.

There are other alternatives to the UCx00 also, but I have no idea about them. Also, I can not help you if you are using Linux.
Thanks. Appreciate the info. Using Mach3. Will check the devices mentioned. Are they reliable? A bit weary of interfaces that are not 'native', specifically USB which has its own issues.