. .

Thread: DC Power Supply

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,624. Received thanks 113 times, giving thanks to others 70 times.
    Trying to get a 5 axis machine running, just realised I can power the DC drives with a DC power source. Need between 90 and 150V and around 12A per axis (x 3) but will be OK with 1/3rd just for testing.

Would anyone have one for sale or one I can rent / borrow to test with please? I'm Oxfordshire based.

Thanks

I think you could do this with a 110v yellow industrial PSU

Then make a cable to a box to convert it to DC

Bridge rectifier + Capacitors

You will need to research what size capacitors and appropriate rectifier for the power input

My Torloidial PSU build produced ~80v AC after you ran it through rectifier it dropped to 70v DC and capacitors smooth out the rectifier

So I can't see why it wouldn't work
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,624. Received thanks 113 times, giving thanks to others 70 times.
    Thanks. I did the same later. One drive just spins and I Can control, the other trips the supply, no idea why but works on AC. I've given up on the system and started to retrofit.

BTW, you still owe me an explanation on why you didnt come down on the weekend I had pencilled in to help you.

Full wave rectification of 110Vac will tend to result in ~140Vdc, possibly even higher if (like me) you actually have a 250Vac supply. For my servo drives, I dismantled the secondary winding and removed enough turns to lower the output voltage when rectified to something like 130Vdc. If you do any fast deceleration, you may see an overvoltage trip if you are running close to the overvoltage threshold in the servo drives.

If you fancy removing secondary turns, there are versions of the site transformers that come in steel housings, rather than moulded yellow fibreglass with black potting inside. They are much simpler to dismantle and modify.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Full wave rectification of 110Vac will tend to result in ~140Vdc, possibly even higher if (like me) you actually have a 250Vac supply. For my servo drives, I dismantled the secondary winding and removed enough turns to lower the output voltage when rectified to something like 130Vdc. If you do any fast deceleration, you may see an overvoltage trip if you are running close to the overvoltage threshold in the servo drives.

If you fancy removing secondary turns, there are versions of the site transformers that come in steel housings, rather than moulded yellow fibreglass with black potting inside. They are much simpler to dismantle and modify.
    Thanks. I've ditched / removed the old stuff, struggled so done a retrofit which is nearing completion.

Thread Information