Hi all,

I figured it was about time I started a proper build log since starting a thread in the new members section. Before I get into the details, a little background of myself. By day I am an Electronics Engineer and by night I am a keen hobbyist! I have built many projects, re-built a couple of motorbikes and fix my car on a regular basis (its french ;) ) but building a CNC router is something I've wanted to do for ages. Now I have some spare time (girlfriend depending!) and a little spare cash (girlfriend depending ;) ) I feel I can finally go ahead with one.

So here goes...I guess the first question to ask myself is what I want the machine to cut. To that I answer: Wood (MDF), Plastics (Acrylic, Delrin etc) but also Aluminium (basic plates/small parts).

I have kicked off a design in solidworks and have a VERY basic outline (not done any detail yet) of what I am looking to achieve:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview3.PNG 
Views:	6668 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	7845

Along the way I have already made some decisions on parts, as follows:

• 20mm Hiwin Rail/Carriages all round.
  • RM1605 Ballscrews.
  • FF/FK12 Ballscrew End Supports.
  • 80x80 Profile 8 Extrusion for the Y axis supports.
  • Chinese 2.2kW Spindle
  • Nema 23 Motors.
  • THK KR33A Z axis (Purchased this cheaply off ebay)
  • Approximately an A3 build dimension.

Like everyone, I have a TON of questions to follow but will post those up separately when I get time to compile them all.

As always, I'm open to opinions/criticism! It may well be that the whole design changes before I start ordering parts.

Best Regards,

Dave