. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi All

I have not been too active around these parts in a while, other projects have been taking up lots of my time. My little lad is now 4 and taking much more of my time, and Im also 6 months into a new job. However, things are starting to calm down, and i got itchy fingers for a winter workshop toy / project.

Some of you may recall, Earlier this year I took ownership of an old Bridgeport Mill, er http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8856-bridgeport

Since ive owned it, ive done a few bits and peaces to it, most notably with the help of an old member from round here (John S) We converted the old three phase motor, to a more modern unit with matching VFD.

The original plan was that I was going to convert this to CNC, and despite being advised this isn't a brilliant idea, I got quite far down the planning stages, almost to the point I was about to start placing orders

However, eager ebaying presented a different option, and last night, after work, I shot down the a50 armed with my car trailer, and bought this bad boy

This is a CNC mill (bigger in shadow than my bridgeport), the unit was covered in wax and stored away new in 1996. so is completely unused. It comes fully equiped with ballscrews I literally need to install some steppers / servos, fit a spindle motor (ala like I did on the bridgeport)

what could possibly go wrong?

As its much bigger in the flesh than it seems in the picture, and my trailer was about on its arse carrying the bridgeport, I decided against dragging it home last night, so need to make some alternative arrangements and collect it at the weekend...

For all those interested, Il keep you all posted, throughout the build.. as it happens, Live!

Few things... Reckon il get away with steppers? if so, what size?

anybody got any INT30 tooling they want to sell?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150809_205629.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	16335  

Thread Information